This delicious recipe by Yotam Ottolenghi will definitely help bring the body back into balance!
- 1½ tbsp cumin seeds
- 450g mixed sprouts (mung beans, chickpeas, aduki beans, lentils, etc)
- 1 daikon (around 300g), peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 20g parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- 10g coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 tbsp white-wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 300g baby plum tomatoes, cut in half lengthways
- 80g baby spinach leaves
- Black pepper
In a small frying pan, toast the cumin on high heat for a minute or two, shaking the pan to move the seeds around as you do so, until they give off their aroma and begin to pop. Transfer to a mortar, and crush with a pestle until powdery. (Of course, you can opt to bypass this step if preferred and use pre-crushed cumin, but roasting will indeed bring out the aroma!)
Put the sprouts, daikon and carrot in a large bowl. Add the herbs, garlic, oils, vinegars, cumin, salt and some black pepper. Stir, taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary. Add the tomatoes and spinach, toss gently and serve.
Note: Personally, I half the amount of oil used.
OK curry fans, here is a sweet and spicy low-fat raw vegan curry noodle recipe by Kristina Carrillo-Bucaram. It’s fresh, savoury, rich, and nutritious and is so filled with flavour it will have your tastebuds bursting with delight!
- 3-5 large zucchinis (depending on how much you want)
- 3-4 small navel oranges
- 1-2 cups of orange/red cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbps ~ 1/2 cup of raw, unhulled sesame seeds
- fresh herbs of basil, sage, and rosemary
- 1 tbps tumeric
- 1 tbps curry powder
- pinch of cumin
Spiralize your noodles (you’ll need a spiralizer for this). Then blend the rest of the ingredients in a high speed blender like a Vitamix or a Blendtec until completely smooth and creamy. Pour the sweet curry sauce over your noodles and mix well. Enjoy!
With your daily dose of vitamins A and C, this green drink from Blendtec is a perfect way to start your morning.
- 1 cup raw almond milk
- 1 banana
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- 1¼ cups frozen peach slices
Add ingredients to your high speed blender and whip it up, baby!
This is a perfect smoothie by Blendec to satisfy that chocolate craving.
- ½ cup milk
- 1½ tbsp peanut butter (or PB2 if you don’t want the fat. You can get it on iherb)
- 1 tbsp honey (or other sweetner is honey is not up your alley)
- ½ tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 banana
- 1 cup ice cubes
Add ingredients to your Vitamix or Blendtec high speed belnder and let ‘er rip! 30 seconds is more than enough.
Wake up with this sun-colored smoothie by Blendtec.
- 1½ cups orange juice
- 1 banana
- 2 tbsp wheat germ
- 1 cup frozen mango chunks
- 1 cup frozen pineapple chunks
Add ingredients to your preferably high-speed blender (Vitamix or Blendtec) and blend for no more than 30 seconds on high.